Birth Story

 Monday, July 7, 2008

OK so I know a few people are curious as to what exactly went down at the hospital so I'm going to do a brief birth story. On Monday June 16th I started feeling really ill, and my chest was hurting so I assumed that I had bad heart burn and began munching Tums most of the day. Then I really got sick and when P came home we called the advice nurse who said it sounded like I had a stomach bug and to drink diluted 7up, etc. About 20 minutes later I told P that I had to go to the emergency room NOW and off we went. Honestly I think we both thought I'd get on an IV and then would go home a few hours later.

In L&D I began throwing up and the pain that I felt in my chest was indescribable. I was freaking out so much they gave me morphine for the pain. At first the doctor thought it was gall stones and sent me down to get an ultra sound but I was in so much pain I could barely sit still on the table. In between passing out, it was decided that I had HELLP syndrome and pre-eclampsia and that I needed to have labor induced ASAP. After an hour of nothing happening a c section was proposed because my blood pressure was something insane, like 200 over 135! I don't remember much except the breathing tube being pulled out in recovery (lots of fun!) and I woke up in ICU the next night.

While in ICU I had something like 4 blood and platelet transfusions because I was bleeding out of my stitches and my blood pressure was so erratic. I spent three long days there before transferring to post partum where I was able to interact with Amaya although I was still really messed up.

Surprisingly I'm doing ok with the recovery from the c section. I was able to walk around with no real issues 3 days after I got home and although I'm still taking Motrin to manage the soreness I think I'm doing fairly well. My eyes are still blurry and weird due to the high blood pressure, but it's slowly getting better. Going through that makes you think about a lot things being out of your control. I'm still sad I didn't get to have a "natural" birth (don't get me wrong I wanted drugs but would have preferred to push her out myself.) Every once in awhile it crosses my mind that I could have died which I know sounds depressing but it really gives you a different view on the things you tripped out about before. Family drama and all that, I don't give a crap about now. Maybe being a mom changed that too.

7 comments:

Anonymous,  July 8, 2008 at 3:07 PM  

OMG...I had no idea Tiffany. I'm so glad you're ok! We are all so incredibly lucky.

Alison July 8, 2008 at 4:30 PM  

Wow, what a roller coaster! You must be so glad ot be resting at home now!!!

SarahSews July 8, 2008 at 4:54 PM  

I'm so glad you are okay Tiff. I'm also surprised pre-e wasn't the first thing they thought of when you came in -- one check of the BP at admitting with your symptoms should have given them a giant blinking sign. You are one lucky girl to have had your mama instincts kick in when they did.

As for c-sec recovery -- I wish I was up walking without pain at 3 days! I'm still a bit hobbled when my meds wear off.

julie July 9, 2008 at 4:51 AM  

thanks for posting your story. I'm so glad you're feeling better

Mom and Wife July 9, 2008 at 11:15 AM  

I am so thankful for your friendship...

Jennifer July 10, 2008 at 7:54 PM  

What a wild ride! I am so glad that everything worked out and that you went to emergency when you did.

Briana July 31, 2008 at 9:49 AM  

WOw I had no clue about all that. Thank goodness you made it through. Amaya is adorable!

Post a Comment

Blog template by simplyfabulousbloggertemplates.com

Back to TOP